Saturday, October 1, 2011

my lazy spin on strawberry mascarpone cake...

I re-pinned this because it looked yummy and beautiful. It originally hails from shesimmers blog (great name for a blog!).  I was going to make it for a summer dinner party and end up looking like an accomplished baker.  But when it came to actually making it I was racing the clock to get to a picnic, so I did the lazy suburban trick of turning it into a trifle.  The end result was not as flawlessly beautiful, but it tasted good.





Ingredients:
  • One 4-ounce container of mascarpone cheese, softened on the counter
  • Two pounds of beautiful strawberries
  • 1 pint of heavy cream
  • 1 unflavored gelatin packet
  • sugar to taste, I used about 1/3 cup
  • vanilla to taste (I don't measure I just pour...)
  • Angel food cake - I was lazy and used one from the store. 










    -Place 1 cup of cold whipping cream in a bowl, I used the bowl from my mixer.  Sprinkle the gelatin on top and let it sit  until it is dissolved (it won't look crystalline any more, it will look sort of wrinkly).



    - Add the softened mascarpone, sugar, and vanilla.  Mix until fluffy, but as shesimmers warns, don't over mix or you will have butter.



    - Cut the "pretty" strawberries, enough to line your container walls, chop up the rest into little bite-sized bits.

     - Add the chopped strawberries to the cream mixture, move to another bowl (chill in the fridge if you want until you are ready to use)

    - Dice up the angel food cake or rip as you go....

    - Place a layer of angel food cake pieces in the bottom of your trifle bowl.  Ring the bowl with slice strawberries, insides facing out.  Place filling inside until strawberries on sides are covered.  Repeat until you fill your container.










    - Garnish with strawberries.



    Variations
    -Use sugar substitute along with a sugar-free angel food cake for a sugar-free version
    -Use other berries in the filling, blueberries, raspberries, ,blackberries

    No comments:

    Post a Comment